Did Jesus Have Passion?
“You know the Greeks didn’t write obituaries.
They only asked one question after a man died:
‘Did he have passion?'”. – Serendipity
Did Jesus have passion in His life? Absolutely! He put all of His emotions, strength, thoughts, and will to His one goal: to do the will of His Father who sent Him (John 6:38). What was the main direction of the Father’s will: to bring you to God (1 Peter 3:18). Jesus did not have to die, but He chose to die to accomplish the will of the Father.
Jesus Wanted to Die
Jesus went to Jerusalem knowing the religious leaders wanted to kill him. Jesus told Judas to do what he had planned. Jesus had to wait for the soldiers to get back on their feet for them to arrest Him. Jesus chose to stop Peter from defending Him. Jesus had to put the servant’s ear back on before they took Him. Jesus gave the high priest the answer to assuredly irritate him. Pilot tried to get Jesus give him anything in which to let Him go. Jesus wanted to die.
Jesus’ choice to die was not to become a martyr, but for that joy set before Him (Hebrews 12:2). The discussion with His Father in the garden of Gethsemane revealed this was the only way (Mark 14:35-36). And since it was the only way, Jesus gave everything to make it happen.
Stir Up Your Passions
So now, do we have passion? Is it okay for us to have passion? Let us be passionate about the things that Jesus died for. Let us have passion for being with God, passion for bringing others to God, passion for experience all that Jesus death and resurrection has given us.
- Did the cross conquer the works of the enemy?
- Then let’s not allow the enemy have any ground in our world.
- Did the cross remove the veil between us and God?
- Then let’s press into that intimacy that is available.
- Did the cross grant us forgiveness of sins?
- Then do not let yourself be bound to shame.
- Did the cross destroy the effects of sin?
- Then don’t agree that sickness, pain, deterioration are normal parts of life.
- Did the cross change everything?
- Then ask God to change every area of your life that brings pain and fear.
The passion of Christ shows how much He loves you. If there is anything that is happening to you that Jesus would not want for you. It could be sickness, loved ones running from you, bad relationships, financial woes, etc. Take it to the cross and ask Jesus for what He has purchased for you. Jesus has not lost His passion for you. We are to believe that He rewards those that earnestly seek Him (Hebrews 11:6). Passion delights Him, so stir it up and give it back to Him.
image courtesy of The Passion of the Christ