“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” – John 10:10
Remove Shame With God’s Truth
Shame speaks lies to us. Instead of letting us know when we make mistakes, shame tells us we are a mistake. The Scriptures tell us that there is an enemy that is the father of lies, and his goal is to steal, kill, and destroy. He will continue to use shame to feed lies in our hearts to keep us from living out of who God made us to be.
Jesus said, “I am the way the way, the truth, and the life,” and “the truth will set you free” (John 14:6 and 8:32). Living out of the truth will free you up to live out of who God created you to be. Removing your shame involves replacing it with God’s truth.
It takes time to transform our minds, but repeating truth instead of the lies will get us there quicker. We have grown up with lies that the enemy placed there through misinterpretation of events in our childhood. The lies are about ourselves, God, and others. While we may never agree intellectually to the lie, they feel true so we live out of them.
We must choose to believe the truth Jesus has said because truth is whatever Jesus says is true. Here are some of the truth statements that God has gave me to replace the lies of shame that I have been living out of.
Truth Statements to Kill Shame
- God loves me, my wife loves me, and there are many other people in my life who love me for who I am.
- I am a godly man of integrity, and the people who know the real me are drawn to me.
- Not everyone will hurt me, and I will trust God to show me who I can open myself to. With God’s help, I will continue to be close to Alli.
- I am valuable because I am made in God’s image, and I am His son.
- As I give my best, I know that God is always pleased with me because my best is good enough.
Only Believe What God Says About You
You have no right to believe anything about yourself that God did not say about you. He created you and knows you better than you do. If He says you are awesome, it isn’t because you fooled Him. He knows what He has placed in you and knows that is your true self.
Why is prayer so important? Because it is through prayer that you can hear the powerful words of affection from your loving Father.