image courtesy of the Jesus Film
I have been thinking again about the theme of love and fear. Jesus was the perfect representation of God on earth (Hebrews 1:3). He was perfect love, and perfect love casts out all fear (1 John 4:18). Think through the life of Jesus. Was He ever afraid?
- While in the desert during a 40-day fast, Jesus had a personal encounter with Satan.
- Several times, Jesus heard the audible voice of God.
- After a short sermon in His home church, the people tried to stone Him.
- When faced with 5,000 hungry people and little resources, He proceeded to feed them.
- In the midst of two terrible storms at sea, he sleeps through one and walks on the water in the other.
- The religious leaders throw a woman they caught in adultery in front of Jesus and demanded His response.
- After a long night wrestling in prayer, soldiers come to take Him to His death.
- Jesus subjected Himself to lies, mockings, beatings, and torture.
- Before going back to heaven, He leaves His ministry to a bunch of guys who a few weeks earlier all abandoned Him.
During each of these situations, Jesus showed no fear. How did He do it? I think to answer this question, we need to know how He continued to love since love casts out fear. The story where Jesus washes the disciples’ feet provides this for us. It begins with Jesus wanting to show the full extend of His love. The passage says that Jesus had a firm grasp on His identity, power, and purpose. And, it was out of this that He then washed their feet.
“Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God.” – John 13:3
Can we do the same? Can we live a life without fear? I’ll propose that we can, although I am still working to that myself. Can I be so confident in God’s love for me that other people’s opinions of me don’t distress me? Can I walk up to any problem knowing I am bringing the solution? Can I so trust in God’s desire to accomplish His plan for my life that obstacles are met with love?
- What are the things that cause you to fear?