- [Jesus and the apostles] obviously believed that they knew the will of God was before they prayed the prayer of faith.
- [Meditation is] the detachment from the confusion all around us in order to have a richer attachment to God.
- Attuning ourselves to divine breathings is spiritual work, but without it our prayer is vain repetition.
- Celebration brings joy into life, and joy makes us strong.
- Christian meditation, very simply, is the ability to hear God’s voice and obey his word.
- Confession begins in sorrow, but it ends in joy.
- Do we really think we can experience integration of heart and mind and spirit with an erratic prayer life?
- Either option is painful. To not grow in His likeness is to not enjoy his fullness. When this happens, a haunting voice continues to ask, ‘What could I have become in him if I would have been a man of prayer?’ To grow in His likeness is to enjoy His fullness. When this happens, the priorities of the world begin to fade away.
- God delights in showing us exciting new alternatives for the future.
- God has ordained the Disciplines of the spiritual life as the means by which we place ourselves where He can bless us.
- I determined to learn to pray so that my experience confirmed to the words of Jesus rather than try to make his words conform to my impoverished experience.
- If we are unwilling to change, we will abandon prayer as a noticeable characteristic of our lives.
- If we long to go where God is going and do what God is doing, we will move into deeper, more authentic worship.
- In prayer, we begin to think God’s thoughts after him: to desire the things he desires, to love the things he loves, to will the things he wills.
- It was liberating to me to understand that prayer involved a learning process. I was set free to question, to experiment, even to fail, for I knew I was learning.
- Jesus Christ has promised to be our ever-present Teacher and Guide. His voice is not hard to hear. His direction is not hard to understand.
- Jesus is not idle, nor has he developed laryngitis.
- Listening to the Lord is the first thing, second thing, and the third thing necessary for successful intercession.
- Openness, honesty, and trust mark the communication of children with their father.
- Our prayer is to be a reflex action to God’s prior initiative upon the heart.
- Prayer frees us from anxiety because it teaches us trust. And the result is peace.
- Prayer is the central avenue God uses to transform us.
- Prayer ushers us into perpetual communion with the Father.
- Real prayer comes not from gritting our teeth but from falling in love.
- Service as a substitute for worship is idolatry.
- The Disciplines of the faith allow us to place ourselves before God so that He can transform us.
- The imagination helps to anchor our thoughts and center our attention.
- The prayer of guidance constantly precedes and surrounds the prayer of faith.
- The primary requirement [for the Disciples of faith] is a longing after God.
- To enter the gaze of the Holy is never to be the same.
- To pray is to change. Prayer is the central avenue God uses to transform us. If we are unwilling to change, we will abandon prayer as a noticeable characteristic of our lives.
- We can descend with the mind into the heart most easily through the imagination.
- We do not have to make God willing to forgive. In fact, it is God who is working to make us willing to seek his forgiveness.
- We do not pray for people as “things,” but as “persons” whom we love.
- We must hear, know, and obey the will of God before we pray it into the lives of others.
- Worship begins in holy expectancy, it ends in holy obedience.
- Worship involves an opening of ourselves to the adventurous life of the Spirit.
- Worship is the human response to the divine initiative.
- You are going to go somewhere so how much better to have a direction that has been set by communion with the divine Center.
If you have enjoyed these quotes, go get over 3,500 prayer quotes on Amazon. They are all categorized by topic for ease of study and inspiration.
“The reality of these insights into prayer
will greatly impact your walk with God.”
– An Amazon Reviewer –
Wonderful revelations… I have read a celebration of discipline,am actually going through the book again. Its awesome.
It is very good. It takes the duty out of the disciplines and reveals the joy found in them.